Saturday, June 5, 2010

Things we haven't killed...yet

Omar and I are pretty proud of ourselves. I know I'm patting my own back...that's for sure. You see...we created a brand new vegetable garden and flower bed...and haven't killed either. Big deal. Seriously. Now that we are fancy homeowners, we actually have a place other than pots to grow vegetables and the like. It was touch and go at first, but everything is thriving!!! Our mouths are already watering when thinking of future caprese salads made with homegrown tomatoes and basil!!!!
Peppers and tomatoes!!!!!

Don't die friends!!!!

Mint, rosemary, and lots o' basil!!!

Sadie likes to pick mint leaves off the plant, put them in her mouth before mommy or daddy can catch her...and then spit the leaves out when she realizes she's not into it. Happens every time.

Here is my fancy, smancy flower garden. I even split plants that were getting too big...and they didn't die. Amazing...I know. Certainly a work in progress, but alive none-the-less. I did not plan my layout well and have every intention of moving things around later. I also want to thank my green-thumbed step-mom who answered all one million emails I sent her asking what to do about this or that. Thanks Sally!

I just expanded the right edge of my garden yesterday. What you currently view as a pile of rocks will soon become a lovely gathering of lavender (inspired by one of my favorite friends Sara)!

Oooo...pretty...

Last year I planted a clematis in the front flowerbed. It did ok, but this year it has come back with a vengeance! I love it. This picture here was taken just after the first bloom. It has now overgrown the trellis and has maybe 30 blooms. Heaven!


If you look back at the flower garden, you'll notice the fresh, beautiful, dark brown mulch. I can't thank Omar enough for all the work he did. We picked up a truck full of mulch a couple of days ago and he spent some serious time in the sun pulling up the horrible mulch in the front flower beds (mold and all) and laying this fancy stuff down. I need to get a picture of the front beds in all their glory! Thanks babe!!!!

Even though my best friend Allie made fun of me, Omar and I recently decided to start composting. We are trying to make small, healthy changes where possible and figured this was a good place to start. I'm just hoping we do it right and don't end up with another rodent problem. Plus, we will have some fabulous soil next year for our vegetable garden!


Now on to more serious matters...

Things I Did Kill
Earlier this year I made a firm decision that I would start my own vegetable, herb, and flower seedlings. I bought a seed starting kit and purchased various seed packets. I figured I could really save us some money and we could ensure they were all organic. Well my babies grew, and grew, and stopped growing. I noticed the stems to nearly all by beauties were really weak. Upon further examination, I discovered that some little wormy, larva devils were destroying my seedlings. Hopes dashed...I took one the little buggers in to the nursery. I found the right insecticidal soap for my plants, but it was too late. Out of seventy-two seedlings (yes, you heard right, 72), only the basil, one pepper plant, and one tomato plant survived (I don't even know if you could count the tomato and pepper plant...they're barely hanging on). Turns out I watered my poor babes too much...sorry kids.


5 comments:

Grammy,  June 5, 2010 at 11:00 PM  

Be careful...gardening can be addictive. Bwahhhaaahaaaaa--all part of my evil plan to make all of my children gardeners.

BeBe,  June 6, 2010 at 9:37 AM  

Everything looks beautiful!

Amber June 6, 2010 at 12:37 PM  

It looks great!! I look forward to starting a garden and getting some plants in our yard. However, it is a lot different learning to grow stuff here in FL vs. KY

majorfam June 6, 2010 at 9:10 PM  

It does look great, even if you are a dork:)

sara June 7, 2010 at 12:50 PM  

Oh your veggies look awesome!!! Ours are getting a much slower start, as they are pretty much in full sun all day. Plus, you know... I don't do plants very well.

Can't wait to see the bounty of your hard work!!!

ps---When did Sadie get so freakin' big? I about died over her pigtails--love!!!

About Me

My photo
We're awesome...we know.

Followers

Daily Scripture Reader

Daily Scripture Reader
Journey with Asbury Theological Seminary through the current scripture reader! It's well worth your time! Promise!

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP